Better at Home is a program funded by the provincial government of British Columbia and managed by the United Way of the Lower Mainland. This program was created to reduce isolation, enhance mobility, and support independence among BC’s growing population of seniors.
As Terrace’s Better at Home lead agency, Volunteer Terrace offers friendly visiting, various transportation services, and light housekeeping services. With these supports in place, seniors can choose to remain in their homes and still stay connected in the community.
Better at Home Services
Terrace Better at Home provides 1.25 hours of housekeeping support every two weeks. Professional housekeeping services are provided through Volunteer Terrace, established on an income-based sliding scale, which ensures that services are free for low income seniors and market rate for seniors with an income above the B.C average.
The housekeepers provide assistance with tasks that have become too difficult for seniors to perform. Better at Home’s non-medical services are to provide support and assistance as needed.
The friendly visitor service helps isolated and vulnerable seniors in the community establish a supportive connection to enhance the quality of their lives through visits with a volunteer.
We are always accepting volunteers who are interested in the program to become a friendly visitor for seniors.
We offer transportation to and from medical appointments, recreational community events, take seniors grocery shopping, and more.
Criteria to register for Better at Home Programs:
- Clients must be 65 years or older and reside in Terrace.
- Before the assessment services, all clients are required to complete an intake interview with a Volunteer Terrace staff member. This is so we can learn more about each individual client and their specific needs. Once a client has been interviewed, they will be added to our Better at Home database and can begin scheduling appointments.
Housekeeping Application Process:
- Contact your Better at Home Coordinator at 250-638-1330
- Complete an application form (this can be filled out over the phone).
- The Senior’s Program Coordinator and the Better at Home housekeeper will go to the client’s home for a joint intake session, where we further explain the service and discuss the client’s cleaning needs.
- A partial or full subsidy may be available, depending on their income level. To establish the income bracket and level of subsidization, we require line 150 of the previous year’s income tax return for all members of the household.
- After registering for Better at Home services, clients can schedule a light housekeeping appointment. If an appointment needs to be cancelled or changed, clients must give Volunteer Terrace a minimum of 24 hours notice. Otherwise, except in the case of medical emergencies, clients will be charged the full rate even if they’re eligible for a subsidy. This applies also if a housekeeper arrives at a client’s home for a scheduled appointment and the client isn’t there.
- Better at Home clients are able to schedule two light housekeeping appointments (1.25 hours) per month. To allow the service to be affordable, we’ve implemented a fee structure. Seniors discounts are available for low-income clients, as outlined in the table below. Clients wishing to book more time than we are able to subside will be charged the full rate of $25/hour (this fee will be increasing in 2020 – notice will be given in advance), regardless of their subsidy.
Client Discount Scale:
|Single income||Household Income||Discount Scale||Rate per
|Rate per Visit
|Over $41,000 – Over $83,000 (No Subsidy
$36,321 – $41,500
|Over $83,000 (No subsidy)
$68,701 – $83,400
|$31,146 – $36,320||$54,000 – $68,700||40%||$17.50||$21.88|
|$25,966 – $31,145||$39,301 – $54,000||60%||$12.50||$15.63|
|$18,361 – $25,965||$27,961 – $39,300||80%||$7.50||$9.38|
|Below $18,360||Below $27,960||FREE||FREE||FREE|
For more information
Program Coordinator: Lena Rothwell